Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Lucky is Home

As I worked to prepare Lucky Latin for adoption I realized what a fantastic boy he is. We only showed him to one applicant. In the course of our visit to her home, a condo in downtown Atlanta, I was very, very impressed with Lucky's behavior as he confidently encountered many firsts including downtown traffic, parking garages, elevators, a narrow balcony, slick tile floors, etc. This adopter decided another Greyhound was more appropriate for her. So a different hound is now living in a fantastic downtown condo. In case you didn't know, the right Grey can make a fabulous companion for apartment and condo living. While we usually fall in love with our foster hounds we also want potential adopters to fall in love with our hounds and take them home. Still, if the potential adopters choose a different hound we are happy for all involved. And sometimes though we may not want to admit it, we are happy to keep our foster for a while longer.

On that night in downtown Atlanta Lucky was not the chosen dog but he still managed to find his forever home. For the first time ever I have failed Fostering 101. Please allow me to introduce KBF Lucky Latin Star. We are calling him Soleil or Sol for short. As is always the case with my dogs, the nicknames have started to accumulate. The most used is Sunny and, of course, we still say Lucky sometimes.

Luna the Deerhound appears happy to have a new playmate. She loves to run with him. Venus has joined them to romp in the pasture a few times which she has never done with other fosters. She is even playing in the house more. Not surprisingly, I am completely in love with the boy, I thank my lucky stars we agreed to foster him & think my Sol hung the moon. In looks, he & my late, most beloved Luke are like day & night but like Luke he has such a sunny disposition. So Sol has earned his name. Perhaps as his training progresses he will become my new pet therapy dog helping to brighten other people's days. He also has a lot of training ahead preparing for another special job helping me.

Soleil is the only dog ever to share a bed with Venus in the 4.5 years I have had her. With any other dog that tried she either warned them away or just gave up the bed to them and went to sleep somewhere else. She does still roll her eyes at him when he joins her and gives me a look that seems to ask, "Can't you do something about this?" Then though she just stays put, sighs & let's him sleep with her. It is beyond cute.
Welcome home, Soliel.


3 comments:

Tina Surls said...

Laura, Lucky is indeed home...so glad he found his forever home with you. Sounds like a wonderful hound! Seems to me you are both "lucky"!

Team Zero Gravity said...

Congrats all around Laura! I'm thrilled for Sol and for you, Venus and Luna :)

pseuzen said...

Congratulations to all! He is a "lucky" hound!